Cornell recognized for 4 preservation projects

The Mount Vernon Historic Preservation Commission recognized four Cornell College renovation and painting projects at a ceremony celebrating Historic Preservation Month. It also recognized more than three dozen local home and business owners for their labors of love on properties in Mount Vernon’s three National Historic Districts.

Cornell properties recognized were:

From left: Jeff Streitz, Cornell director of facility services, Leah Rogers, chair of the commission, and Dee Ann Rexroat ’82, Cornell director of communications.
From left: Jeff Streitz, Cornell director of facility services, Leah Rogers, chair of the commission, and Dee Ann Rexroat ’82, Cornell director of communications.

Garner President’s House. Architect Stephen Muse of Muse Architects in Bethesda, Md., designed renovations to the 1850 house that is the oldest building on campus. Home to Cornell’s presidents since the 1860s and the site of innumerable events and receptions, the home received a complete renovation and an entertainment space was added.

Thomas Commons. The 1966 student center received a façade that more closely matches the surrounding buildings, a welcoming lobby and lounge space, a completely redesigned dining facility, and 9,000 square feet of additional space. The project won a national architecture award.

Brackett House Bed & Breakfast. The 1877 home, last renovated in 1978, was completely renovated and reopened in 2016 as a B&B run by the college.

Platner House. The former music practice house, built in 1892, was rejuvenated with a colorful exterior paint job.

The commission provides technical assistance and expertise on historic preservation projects in Mount Vernon’s three national historic districts: Cornell College, Commercial, and Ash Park.