The sound of progress
The campus is reverberating with the sound of heavy machinery and workers making progress on two major renovation projects—the Thomas Commons and the Garner President’s House.
Construction began in March 2012 on the renovation of the Garner President’s House, which is funded by trustees and other friends of the college. The project will include an expansion to the public area of the 162-year-old building that’s been home to Cornell presidents since 1864.
Renovations started on the Thomas Commons, the centerpiece of campus life, in June. Workers spent the summer renovating the lower level, including the kitchen and the creation of a new Mail and Service Center. They also laid the groundwork for thousands of new square feet for dining and student activities, as well as a new façade that will better blend with the National Historic Register campus. Work will continue in phases throughout the year, and most of the building should be open by fall 2013.