Diversity Week: Creating a Culture of Equity
The Office of Intercultural Life will be sponsoring a diversity week the first week of Block 7 with several events on a wide variety of topics. The week’s theme is Creating a Culture of Equity.
- Diversity Week Teach-In: Thomas Commons, 1–3 p.m. (RSVP to ICL; not open to the public)
- International Culture Expo: Thomas Commons Lobby, 3–5 p.m.
- Finders Keepers: An overview of cultural appropriation and its consequences: Martin Luther King Jr. Room, Thomas Commons, 5–6 p.m.
- In Unity: A History of Black and Asian Activism and Allyship in America: Hedges Conference Room, Thomas Commons, 3–4 p.m.
- Building Equity at the Intersection: Conversation with a Jewish, African-American, Trans-Male: Hedges Conference Room, Thomas Commons 6–7 p.m.
- HUMAN: A documentary of collective world-wide stories about what it means to be human (see image): Hall Perrine Room, Thomas Commons, 7–9 p.m.
- Out of Our Minds: Building Equity With Mental Health Challenges: Hedges Conference Room, Thomas Commons, 12–1 p.m.
- Black Panther and Brown Equity: Building Personal Equity as a Man of Color: Russell Room, Thomas Commons, 4–5 p.m.
- Dance Arts Iowa Hip-Hop Workshop with Dassy Lee from “So You Think You Can Dance” Season 14: Hall Perrine, Thomas Commons 5–6:30 p.m. (RSVP to ICL; suggested donation is $5)
- Kugel Baking with Hillel: Dows Kitchen, 3–5 p.m.
- Cornell Hip-Hop Workshop with Dassy Lee (RSVP to ICL, not open to the public): Plumb-Fleming Black Box Theatre, Armstrong Hall, 4–5:45 p.m.
- Aaja Nachle! Garba/Dandiya-Raas Lesson: Learn a traditional Gujarati folk dance: Hall Perrine, Thomas Commons, 7–9 p.m.
All of the events are free and open to the public unless otherwise noted.