Kinn completes “dream” internship with Dallas CowboysAugust 9, 2011
“While I was in Texas with my Economics of Sports class, I met Eric Sudol ’03, who works as a suite sales executive for the Cowboys. I got his business card and stayed in touch. In July, I got an e-mail saying they had an internship available. Because of the flexibility of OCAAT and the financial support of the Cornell Fellows and Berry Center programs, I was able to change my schedule and spend three months with the Cowboys.
I handed out web-based sales leads, updated their lease database, and during games I escorted NFL Hall of Famers. It was a dream come true. My goal is to be on the player personnel side of a sports team, so this was my way of getting a foot in the door, meeting people, making some contacts and figuring out what I need to do after this.”
Andrew Kinn’s Highlights
- Hometown: Milwaukee, Wisc.
- Majors: Economics/Business and Spanish
- Favorite Course: Economics of Sports
Traveled with the class to Texas for a week touring professional sports venues and consulting with marketing and facility managers. Met with executives of the Dallas Cowboys, the Dallas Mavericks, the Dallas Stars, the Texas Rangers, and more. This connection led to an internship with the Dallas Cowboys.
- Awarded the Riesen Fellowship in Sports Management through the Cornell Fellows program, giving him the financial support to intern for three months with the Dallas Cowboys. Read his blog | View his presentation
- Why he chose Cornell?
“OCAAT gives you a lot of flexibility. You can study off campus easily, but there is also time to do internships, double major, and be involved in different student organizations. And small class sizes mean you get increased individual attention, and you get to know the professors on a personal level.”
- Studied at Proyecto Linguistico Francisco Marroquin in Guatemala
- Member of Mortar Board, Omicron Delta Epsilon (Economics Honor Society) and Tau Omicron (Spanish Honor Society).
- Co-coordinator for Colleges Against Cancer and Relay for Life, helping to raise $51,000 for cancer research
- Writer for The Cornellian student newspaper.
- Co-President of the Lacrosse Club
- Next Step? Attend graduate school at Ohio University for a dual MBA and Master of Sports Administration program.
More About Andrew Kinn
Dallas Cowboys Internship
For more information, please contact Cornell's Director of Media Relations